The Undergraduate Academic Advisor supports ongoing retention and student success initiatives and adheres to campus-wide advising standards, policies, procedures and practices for academic advising at UMass Dartmouth. Advises students on the development of their educational plan and makes appropriate referrals to assist students in the selection of their major and evaluation of their educational progress. The advisor provides students with information and advice concerning University studies and major program requirements; collaborates with Student Affairs to provide integration with career advising; and follows protocols for students placed on academic sanctions. Assists with the ongoing assessment and improvement of academic advising; follows the University's best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention; and assists in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and the timely graduation of all students. The Undergraduate Academic Advisor represents the College of Engineering on committees and various admissions and student events, serves on planning committees for advising and registration days, and serves as a contributing member of efforts that advance equity, inclusion and diversity at the college.
- Assist the ES3 Coordinator on issues pertaining to student recruitment, enrollment, academic standards, and orientation.
- Meet regularly with students on academic deficiencies (warning, probation, dismissal, and reinstated) to develop strategies for academic success. Participate in appeal hearings.
- Counsel students in the College individually and conduct general advising sessions.
- Assist with the outreach process for term active, non-enrolled students.
- Explain program requirements to enrolled and prospective students.
- Consult on issues pertaining to transfer course equivalencies for current and potential students.
- Develop and update student academic plans as necessary.
- Consult with department chairpersons and faculty on general and specific advising issues.
- Serve as the Dean's designee on Financial Aid SAP paperwork.
- Assist new COE students, both freshmen and transfers, at orientation and registration days.
- Support recruitment activities at the college level.
- Collaborate with first-year course instructors in order to enhance first-year student success.
- Attend professional seminars, workshops, and conferences on academic advisement in higher education.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available. To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references. Apply online at https://www.umassd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/. The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is June 3, 2021. The review of applications will begin June 4, 2021.
UMass Dartmouth distinguishes itself as a vibrant, public research university dedicated to engaged learning and innovative research resulting in personal and lifelong student success.
Apply online at https://www.umassd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/. Position will remain open until filled.
Bachelor's Degree. Previous (over 1 year) experience advising undergraduate students at the college/university level. Experience with programs and strategies to support first-generation, low-income, and minoritized students. Be knowledgeable of the University and College curriculum content and requirements Able to counsel students with severe academic difficulty Strong knowledge of the University academic standards, policies and procedures as well as eligibility requirements Strong organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills Able to relate to students, parents, faculty and University personnel Able to report and interpret data Strong verbal and written communication skills Knowledge of advising principles and practice
Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering. Demonstrated experience advising engineering or science undergraduate students