posted on September 01, 2007 01:04
Jo Anne Huber, University of Texas-Austin
It is with mixed emotions that I write commending Bobbie Flaherty on her outstanding years of service with NACADA and impending phased retirement. As a long-time member of this Association and one who has held office in many capacities over the years, I can hardly remember not knowing Bobbie or relying on her expertise/guidance and her historical perspective.
In 1990, when NACADA contracted with Kansas State University, Dean Mike Holen wisely tapped Bobbie to provide conference management and financial management expertise. Along with a part-time employee and an association of 2452 members, she embarked on the journey. In seventeen years, NACADA has steadily grown to just under 10,000 members strong with an Executive Office numbering fourteen full time employees. From merely managing a national conference and financial matters, which in itself is no small feat, to the numerous conferences/institutes now held annually, Bobbie has been the driving force in implementing the goals of the Board of Directors and other leaders. She has wisely hired experts in many areas to embark on new waters to accommodate the bulging growth while maintaining existing programs. This has been a key factor in providing the services our members have grown to expect.
While what Bobbie has done for NACADA is too massive to ever completely list, here is an A-Z of some of the accomplishments NACADA has made under Bobbie’s leadership:
- Annual Conference attendance tops 3300
- By-law review
- Continuous growth of Summer Institutes
- Development of Assessment and Administrator Institutes
- Emerging Leaders program
- Foundations of Academic Advising CD series
- Growing Web site
- Heavily increased member involvement in Association leadership at all levels
- Increasing international connections
- Just the right amount of “personal touch”
- Kansas State University ties continuously strengthened
- Lasting collaborations with NCAA, FYE, NCHA and other associations
- Monthly Member Highlights gets new format
- NACADA Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources goes digital
- Online Graduate Certificate in Academic Advising Program and new Master’s Degree
- Publication partnerships with Jossey-Bass
- Quarterly e-Publication,Academic Advising Today, evolved from newsletter
- Region connections strengthened
- Strong financial reserves for the Association
- Truly amazing membership growth
- Up-to-date monographs
- Varied seminars attached to Institutes
- X-traordinarily best-selling Academic Advising Handbook
- Y-ize oversight
- Zealous assurance the Association meets all legal requirements
If the English alphabet had more letters, undoubtedly there would be additional accomplishments to list that Bobbie either administered, facilitated, or had the wise judgment to enlist the services of those who could.
As the chief financial officer, Bobbie has wisely invested NACADA’s monies and provided detailed budgetary details to the Board of Directors and Finance Committee. We are simply in such excellent financial shape due to her oversight.
Undoubtedly, NACADA is a leader in higher education circles, and this is her legacy. While her shoes will never really be filled, I know that before her phased retirement comes to an end, she will have left her mark in many more ways and NACADA will continue to thrive because of her work and dedication.
Jo Anne Huber
President, NACADA 2005-06
Cite this article using APA style as: Huber, J. (2007, September). Thank you Bobbie!. Academic Advising Today, 30(3). Retrieved from [insert url here]